Monday, December 5, 2011

Christmas Ornaments: Guest Post - Cattle and Cupcakes


Christmas Homemade Ornaments

Hey there, Megan over at Cattle and Cupcakes here.  I’ve teamed up with Extreme Southern Couponing to give you a tip on saving money this holiday season!  Homespun Christmas is definitely coming back.  I was watching an episode of the Nate Burkis Show and it featured all home-made Christmas décor.
I was so inspired I went out and bought a whole container of Modge Podge.  What I’m going to do with it I’m not sure, but, I do know that I can cross ornaments off of my list, thanks to these ornaments I made a few years back.  I had a HUGE container of cinnamon that was about to expire, so I went ahead and used the cinnamon up to make these.  Everyone that comes over during Christmas comments on my ornaments.  I formed mine by hand, and I think that really added to the overall effect.  I used leftover gingham, as well, to make ties for my ornaments.  You could definitely use wire, twine, or cut-up t-shirts instead.  I’ve also used these as gift tags, car air fresheners, and “Fillers” in baskets.  They’re really easy and REALLY useful to have!  Here’s what you’ll need:

Cinnamon (Go to the dollar store!!!)
Apple Sauce
Craft Glue
Cookie Cutters (cut by hand if you like) 
Ribbon
Toothpicks/dowel/something to put hole in ornament

Ornament Instructions: 

Mix equal amounts of apple sauce and cinnamon and add 1 teaspoon of craft glue for every cup of applesauce. 

Now, I always end up adding A LOT more cinnamon-I guess my applesauce is more liquid-y than the norm.  Who knows?  So, if your dough is wet, just add more cinnamon.  You could always add nutmeg, cloves, or pumpkin pie spice. 
Mix the ingredients together until you have a firm, but wet dough.  Roll it out to at least ¼ inch thickness (Any thinner and they’ll break) and cut shapes out with cookie cutters or whatever you want.
THE MOST IMPORTANT PART: Make a hole with a toothpick or dowel for you to put a wire, ribbon, or other hanging thing through.   Make sure you make the hole big enough!
Place ornaments on a cooling rack or tray to dry completely.  Depending on how large your ornaments are, this could take days.  You can also bake on a really low heat (like 175-200) and just keep an eye on them.


Thanks Megan for such an awesome frugal Christmas How To!!
You can find Cattle and Cupcakes at their Website and Facebook and of course Twitter so head over and check her out!!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Infolinks In Text Ads

Pampers