Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Diabetes Daily Dose: In a Child's Eyes


As most of you know everyday this month I will be posting the "Diabetes Daily Dose" in hopes of raising awareness towards Diabetes. It's a disease on the rise and most people don't realize just how serious it is. The post may be stories from fans, myself, my daughter, information or videos, anything dealing with diabetes. 
I thought the first post should be from my daughter since she is the inspiration behind "Diabetes Daily Does". 

Hailey 9yrs old. Diagnosed Nov. 9th 2009

My name is Hailey and when I found out that I had diabetes I didn't know what it was, I was 7. My mom and step mom took me to the doctor. The doctor checked my blood sugar with a pricker, it stung the first time. When the doctor said I had diabetes my mom and step mom started to cry. When he told my mom it was Type  1 she started crying more and then I cried.

When I first got diabetes I had to take shots and prick my finger all the time. I got use to it and my fingers don't hurt anymore. The shots always hurt. After about 6 months or more I was able to get the pump. It's a thing that gives you insulin like the shots did. With the pump though you have a catheter that goes in either your leg, butt, arm or belly. I don't have enough fat so I can't put it in my belly. I have to change it out every 3 days, the best part is I get to put numbing cream on before they do it. At first someone had to do it all for me but now if it's on my leg I can change everything out myself. 

I still get to eat what I want but I always have to check my sugar and then take insulin. I still play softball all the time. I like to take my pump off during my game in case I want to slide I don't break it. 
Hailey

For more information on Juvenile Diabetes please visit JDRF

1 comment:

Jill Marie said...

Loved hearing your story. good luck.

Post a Comment

Infolinks In Text Ads

Pampers